Mapping Tips?

Anything that has nothing to do with hexen.
redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Mapping Tips?

Postby redeemer812 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 am

Hey dudes, long time no see!

A few days ago I decided I would try my hand at some Doom 3 mapping (I originally tried a few years ago but sucked), and I'm pleased to report my first map is coming along rather nicely.

Nonetheless I have a few questions about the editor that you guys will most likely be able to answer easily. Now I realize that I could post this same thread on Doom3World, but I'm more familiar with the people here and feel that you're more familiar with me, so I figure that my question will more likely be asked quicker here than there.

Anyway, on to the questions:

- Is there a cvar I can toggle in a game of Doom3 that lets me identify the name of the texture I'm currently staring at? I remember feature like that being in the original Half-Life.

- How do I pose dead bodies? I think I remember reading somewhere that id did it by loading the level and dragging the entities around with g_dragEntity, but I'm not sure that's correct.

- How do I name an NPC? I'm not speaking about editor names, I'm well acquainted with those. :-)

deadite4
Site Admin

Re: Mapping Tips?

Postby deadite4 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:45 am

Hey redeemer, good to see you!

To answer your questions:

-r_showSurfaceInfo 0/1. turning it to 1 will display any surface material you're looking at under the crosshair. You may need to turn the HUD off depending. You probably don't in Doom 3, I know we do in Hexen because of certain changes to our HUD.

-http://iddevnet.com/doom3/afs.php will answer all your ragdoll questions. Look particularly near the end of the article.

-For the NPC thing I believe you're looking for the key/val "npc_name"
Sounds Great. Do it again.

Return to “General Discussion”