Rage to use Steamworks

Anything that has nothing to do with hexen.
redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Rage to use Steamworks

Postby redeemer812 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:26 pm

http://www.shacknews.com/article/69716/ ... steamworks

Worst news ever. Steam is the worst software of all time, and now it's an integrated part of Rage.

deadite4
Site Admin

Re: Rage to use Steamworks

Postby deadite4 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:35 pm

I love Steam. So if a game is going to use some type of system, I prefer it to be Steam. So long as it doesn't require always on DRM for SP games, or activation limits. Neither of which Steamworks does.
Sounds Great. Do it again.

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Steam is an unstable piece of crap. It's unresponsive and buggy, and it's super annoying that a game might randomly start updating after I specifically tell it not to ever update. I hate how tying Steam in to some games might reduce the game's lifespan by implementing restrictive DRM and activation limits and other retarded things like that which negate the fact that I own the game and I can use it how I like. And I also hate how I'm playing a game and then randomly a stupid little notification might appear in the corner telling me that someone I don't care about just logged on to steam. The caching problem that causes may jerk the game or do something else annoying, like cover up my health bar. And even if steam doesn't ever directly interrupt my experience, it is still just sitting there in the background, eating up huge chunks of RAM and processing power to do who knows what with my PC.

I also hate how Willits is all like "All of our fans have smokin' PCs and awesome broadband so putting Steam in Rage is a no-brainer." Guess again, Timmy. Only 30% of all people in the US have broadband. Combine that percentage with the number of people who also have smokin' PCs and my guess is that 10% of all people in the US have awesome powerhouse computers in their bedrooms w/ broadband. So now statistically speaking it is almost a certainty that a sizable portion of id's fan base is made up of people outside of that lucky 10%. What does that make us?

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:02 am

Steam doesn't use activation limits, or always on DRM, or things like that. I think you have incorrect information on what Steamworks actually is ;) Activation limits and always on DRM is Securom, Blizzard, ubisoft, and GFWL properties. Not Steam. When a game has severe DRM restrictions of that nature, it is usually the Dev/Publisher that put a second layer of DRM on top of Steam.

I also haven't had a Steam crash in probably 2 years. Meh.

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Let me tell you a story that will explain to you why I hate Steam so very, very much.

I randomly decided to play Half-Life 2 Deathmatch with my brother yesterday. I ended up spending half the afternoon wrestling with Steam to update the game and then run it. On multiple occasions, Steam would randomly hang for minutes on end, and on numerous occasions it gave "Illegal Operation" error messages for no reason, forcing a restart. Anyway after an hour of fooling around, we finally get the game running of both PCs... but then we find a discrepancy between the two instances of the game, which forces us to shut it down and do some more tinkering. We fix the problem, but then Steam doesn't want to start the game at all. It's complaining that it can't "perform that operation while offline" which doesn't make any sense at all since we had just run the game a minute ago while offline.

Oh well, we figure a simple restart (that should sound wrong to you) will fix the problem. So we reboot Steam and wait another 10 minutes as it momentarily refuses all input again. Finally, we manage to start the game on both machines again - but then Half-Life 2 begins crashing right after loading the menu screen, for no reason whatsoever. We hadn't changed any of the files - I imagine Steam must have corrupted them somehow.

So I decide that it's worth putting Steam online again to see if that'll fix the problem... And whadayaknow? Half-Life 2 Deathmatch begins automatically updating, despite the fact that I had told it to never check for updates! Now I have to wait a half hour (it's already 4:00 PM at this point) for both games to download 600 megs or so of data. That's when we gave up and played Starcraft II.

So now you know why I hate Steam. We didn't do anything that would've harmed Steam's normal operating procedures. There is just no excuse for this behavior, especially if it's coming from a software management program.

[/rant]

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:02 pm

You purposely turned off updates and then complain when the games are out of wack, and are of different versions. Updates update for good reason.

That's user error, not Steam error.

Also Blizzard content system is very similar to Steam. All you did was move from 1 system to another except blizzard requires being online. There's a bit of irony in there ;)

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:03 pm

You purposely turned off updates and then complain when the games are out of wack, and are of different versions. Updates update for good reason.

That's user error, not Steam error.

I understand the purpose behind updates. I am typically the only person where I live who actually cares to check online to make sure that I have the latest build of a game before I play it. But the thing is, I choose whether or not I need an update, and frankly, I didn't need this one.

You see, most of the time I will update a game whether or not I have any problems with it, but if an update is large and unnecessary, I will not download it. And if I want an update, I will download it myself and apply it across all of my platforms. My ISP does not afford me the benefit of downloading a 500 MB patch several times for all of my computers (believe me, I have a lot!). If I cannot choose when and how an update will be applied, I will not download it at all.

And honestly, if Steam had not forced this update onto one of my computers, this version discrepancy simply wouldn't have existed.

Anyway as I said, we eventually straightened this matter out, but then the games crashed horribly every time they were started. They gave no reason for doing this, although as I said Steam probably corrupted their files somehow, probably during one of its own spontaneous crashes.

Also Blizzard content system is very similar to Steam. All you did was move from 1 system to another except blizzard requires being online. There's a bit of irony in there ;)

Indeed they are similar and I carry disdain for both of them. Nonetheless, I prefer Blizzard's system over the other for these reasons:

A) The updates passed out by Battle.net are released very often and are thus very small. Rarely are they larger than 50 megs, and I can afford that.
B) The Battle.net updater doesn't crash randomly 50% of the time, like Steam. (and once again, this is inexcusable on Steam's part). In fact, I've found Blizzard's software to be extremely stable.
C) Starcraft II and Battle.net do not ignore my input for minutes on end (like Steam), nor are they ridiculously slow considering the scope of their application.

Return to “General Discussion”