Again, No Doom4!

Anything that has nothing to do with hexen.
redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Again, No Doom4!

Postby redeemer812 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:06 pm

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1186233p1.html
QuakeCon 2011 is underway, and most of the talk this year is about Rage, id Software's first major release since Doom 3. It's a sensible focus considering Rage comes out in less than two months, but still, what's going on with Doom 4, first announced way back in 2008?

According to id Software president Todd Hollenshead, we've still got some waiting to do before we hear any details. "id Tech 5 is the basis for Doom 4, and I guess infer what you will…What we're really focused on is getting Rage out the door. Once we're to that point, then we want to transition to how we're going to present Doom 4, what are the talking points, how do we introduce it. Because that stuff hasn't even been determined yet. We're talking about that internally."

"I know everybody's interested," he said. "I am too."

I understand that they don't want to upstage Rage by releasing a bunch of info on Doom4, but showing off a few quick pics or a short video wouldn't have hurt anybody. I was anticipating Doom4 during Quake Con '10 and they didn't show it off then, so I waited a whole friggin' year and they didn't show it off here at Quake Con '11. What gives?

Oh yeah, in October John Carmack plans to release the Doom3 source code. Took 'em long enough, that engine is almost ancient now.

deadite4
Site Admin

Re: Again, No Doom4!

Postby deadite4 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Doom 4 probably isn't far enough along to be suitable for screenshots or videos. id software has gotten a fair amount of flack from people when they show of things premature.

As for doom 3 GPL, I wouldn't expect them to release it while several projects are currently being released using it. I'm actually very surprised they are releasing it before Prey 2 is out.
Sounds Great. Do it again.

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Doom 4 probably isn't far enough along to be suitable for screenshots or videos.

A little info at least would have been nice, we know next to nothing about the game as it is and they've been teasing us for 3 years now.

As for doom 3 GPL, I wouldn't expect them to release it while several projects are currently being released using it. I'm actually very surprised they are releasing it before Prey 2 is out.

Wait, so Prey 2 is also using the Doom 3 engine? I would've thought they would move to something a bit more recent for that project.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:44 pm

It's heavily modified of course. Brink, which was just released, also used id tech 4. There are more games using it than one would think. Just cause you're using the Doom 3 engine doesn't mean you are using 2004 tech. It's just what your base started with. All the renderers have been updated.

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm surprised because publishers tend to be picky about these kinds of things. When a large portion of your codebase is based on old technology like that publishers tend to be wary of your product.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:05 am

The publishers don't really care whats its based on. All a publisher cares about is profits. Call of Duty is still based on a heavily modified Quake engine. The engine that is technically considered you 'base' engine in no way has to represent your finished product. By time Brink and Prey 2 go gold the Doom 3 engine is a shell of what it actually was.

Valve still uses the HL 2 engine and updates it regularly. Many games still use the UE3 engine successfully. As long as the developer has updated what they need to update it never really matters how old it is. Any part deemed 'old' is rebuilt.

Return to “General Discussion”