Got modern warfare 2 today

Anything that has nothing to do with hexen.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BloodRayne
Finished the First Round!

Got modern warfare 2 today

Postby BloodRayne » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:09 pm

2 Shiny discs, I was eager to try it out now that my wife had decided to buy it for me. So I pop in the disc.
Steam install starts. Steam install finishes: 'This game cannot be installed this time because it has not been released'

So I have to wait 2 days before I can play this game that I legally own. Nothing against Steam or anything, but what the hell?

Lunchmeataphobia.
Think! It ain't illegal yet!

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Re: Got modern warfare 2 today

Postby redeemer812 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Steam is the most retarded application in the world. If I buy a game, it is MINE, and I want to play it without setting up any side-software, or downloading 500 gb files, or having them police me and check if I use "pirated" (used) software.

We don't have a good connection out here in rural america, where there is essentially NO broadband, so when my older brother bought the DVD version of Half-Life 2, you can imagine his surprise when it said he had to download the WHOLE GAME! Essentially all he got was a fancy piece of plastic and their "permission" to download the game. We had to wait days just for the junk to install, and then we couldn't move it to another computer without RE-DOWNLOADING IT! Since that time, our installation of Half-Life 2 was lost, so we can't play it anymore. But we still have a "copy" of Half-Life 2 sitting in our basement. (which we can't get rid of thanks to their anti-piracy policy)

And then there's my trouble with half-life 1. I bought a used WON version of Half-Life, so I can't download the steam version of Half-Life because it thinks I have an "illegal copy". Half the mods I've ever downloaded for that game haven't worked because they were setup to work with Steam, not WON. I've managed to get a couple of them to work (sorta), but it really bugs me how I forked out $30 and then I'm not even be able to play my game to its fullest extent.

With systems like Steam, you aren't buying games; you're buying the "license" to play the game. The system can revoke your license whenever it wants, you aren't allowed to resell your game, and you have to DOWNLOAD every stinking piece of software you get, which is very painful for people like us who don't have broadband. Steam is a piece of trash. I am never, ever buying a game that relies on Valve's "revolutionary" system again.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:46 pm

I used to hate steam for no reason. I have since changed my stance over the last 7 months and think its fantastic. I almost solely purchase games through it now, over retail. The deals are incredible. If you think purchasing your game retail is any less of a license to play the game then Steam, then you have been fooled.

More related to your problem, did you pre-load. Here is a news report on your specific problem.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/11/ ... ut-on-fun/

It has been known since the beginning that Steam would get released on the 12th. This isn't Steam's doing, but Activisions so don't go all bashing at Steam or Valve. However, there does seem to be a weird occurance of retail purchasers having Steam load their game and downloading it instead of installing off the discs, which would be your problem since digital download isn't available till the 12th. Have you tried closing Steam, and then installing off your discs?
Sounds Great. Do it again.

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:20 am

I don't own Modern Warfare 2. I'm griping about the Half-Life and Half-Life 2 games. Half-Life 2 on DVD (the version we got) doesn't actually have the game data on the disc, just an activation key and copy of Steam. When we first tried installing the game on a computer in our private LAN, it complained about not being able to download the game files. Obviously we weren't able to play the game until we installed the game onto a computer with a connection to the internet, and then we had to download everything, which literally took days on and off. And then our ISP kept penalizing us for overuse of their service (they have a Fair Access Policy). Needless to say the whole ordeal was a pain in the butt.

THAT is why I hate Steam.

BloodRayne

Postby BloodRayne » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:51 am

Well, the gamefiles are on the discs, about 7GB in total. It's sitting there, waiting to be played, unaccessable. A package my wife paid 60 euros for (yes, games are $15 more expensive as well here). And I'm unable to use it. :o
Lunchmeataphobia.

BloodRayne

Postby BloodRayne » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:07 pm

It says '1 days and 11 hours left before you can install this game'. And she bought the game discs cause she has no idea about Steam or whatnot. She sees a game that all the nerds 'freak about' and she figures I'm going to like it (often that's a good bet :mrgreen: ). Plus it's nice to actually have something you can touch (and give as a present).

It might turn out this form of distribution is illegal in Europe. I have emailed the general consumer organisation about the legality of selling something unusable. (It does not say anywhere on the discs that this game cannot be instantly played or installed).

I'm seeing many people online that were able to install it. I'll go to the support site to ask for some clarification on this, together with links to said fora. There is no extent to the amount of frustration I feel when I see people are able to play pirated versions and those that paid get nothing (not even a normal explanation as to what's going on I had to find out by going online). Sigh. In a thread there were dozens of replies where people were having installation issues. Then this guy comes in:

But it all turns out to be a big bug in the installer, it keeps seeing my hard copies as the steam version. There's a hack: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 728AAYUB7l
Lunchmeataphobia.

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:33 pm

You could just wait the extra day and 11 hours. :P

I'm not as "into" video games as I was a few years ago. I find programming video games to be a much more "productive" past-time. In fact my older brother bought a (working) copy of Modern Warfare 2 a day or two ago, and I haven't even touched it. Same with Batman: Arkham Asylum. We must've had that game for weeks, and I still haven't hardly even looked at it.

I'm a conversational burden, I know. :lol:

TheCoolinator
Picked up the Serpent Staff
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby TheCoolinator » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:52 pm

Sorry, I'm boycotting this game.....our troops are in Iraq and Afghanistan for no reason getting killed everyday while war profiteering companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

This game is a physical manifestation of how people don't give a shit anymore that body bags are flown home every day of the week. :cry:

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:34 am

I'd say it is a bug in the installer. From my understanding, people who bought the hard copy are supposed to be able to play it immediately. People who purchased from Steam can't play till the 12th. The problem is that people who have Steam installed, the installer is thinking its supposed to go through Steam, instead of using the Disc. That is where the problem is, because if it thinks it is supposed to go through Steam, then legally, Steam isn't allowed to install it till the 12th. It is a purposeful delay in Digital Distribution to sell Hard copies in the store.

BloodRayne

Postby BloodRayne » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:56 am

Yes, it's a bug in the installer. Steam has silently released a fix last night that fixed the issues.
Lunchmeataphobia.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:54 pm

It's a good thing things like installers are tested so thoroughly. Everyone loves day one patches to even install the game.

BloodRayne

Postby BloodRayne » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Why do you think they 'silently' released it eh? :mrgreen:
Lunchmeataphobia.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Duchovicius
Picked up the Mace

Postby Duchovicius » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:06 pm

I like MW2, but still my fav is WaW. MW2 looks like it was made on the same engine MW1 was made. There is no body dismemberment;( and graphics also looks like a kinda worse than in WaW.

curupira
Picked up the Mace

Postby curupira » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:33 pm

Please stand by for a message from the Angel Guardian Heresiarch of The USCL...
Message decoding... CUR25036-868439354...
Decryption successful...

This is a excellent military shooter. But, nothing nothing comes before Hexen. Hexen was my first FPS game I ever played.

HEXEN is the Alpha and Omega of FPS genre gaming old school gaming. hhaha... 8-)
1ADVANCED LABS DEFENSE STATUS:
1advanced.com
2012 Preparing for World War III...
http://the-end.com
http://www.instituteforhumancontinuity.org

TheCoolinator
Picked up the Serpent Staff

Postby TheCoolinator » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:57 pm

^ The weirdness continues....... :?

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:18 am

YoBadMama
Hero!

Postby YoBadMama » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm right behind you, but don't turn around, it only makes me angrier.

YoBadMama
Hero!

Postby YoBadMama » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:09 pm

I'm right behind you, but don't turn around, it only makes me angrier.

Return to “General Discussion”