Any plans making this mod as a stand-alone game?

Talk about the mod here, could contain spoilers!
Exitium
Waking up in Chronos

Any plans making this mod as a stand-alone game?

Postby Exitium » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:10 am

Heya, I registered to this forum to ask this question...

As some of you may be aware, Doom 3 sources (alongside id Tech 4) will be published under GPL later this year (info). While this mod is for Doom 3, do you have plans making this mod stand-alone, so you could use that open-sourcered code in order that HeXen: Edge of Chaos does not need Doom 3 to run - it would be a game of it's own.

However, I don't think that you're going to release the whole mod under GPL. The thing what I'm asking is somehow similiar solution like Urban Terror have. It used to be Q3 mod, but after Quake 3 sources were GPL'd it adopted ioquake3-engine (id Tech 3 GPL-fork) and game went stand-alone. It does not need Quake 3 anymore, and therefore the whole playerbase grew exponentially. Urban Terror isn't open source, even though it's engine is. Game contents is still closed.

Of course this will require some additional work, but after all I think it's worth it. This mod/game would be more popular when it does not need Doom 3 to run, and anyone can download and try it - just like happened with Urban Terror. And I think that that's what you want. In addition, this could be one of the few free single-player games, which would also give you some celebrity - this game isn't "just another Quake-clone for multiplayer".

Any thoughts?

Sincerly,
Exitium

deadite4
Site Admin

Re: Any plans making this mod as a stand-alone game?

Postby deadite4 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:03 pm

I was waiting for that question to pop up here! :)

To answer your question, yes we are certainly discussing it. We've concluded that the team is all for it including to large amount of work that would follow to fill in all of the holes of all the base doom 3 stuff we had lingering. Luckily as far as textures/models went we pretty much were already all of our own stuff. We do have some particles though that pull from base doom 3 textures. Those would be fixed.

Aside of that we would just need to create our own base entities like speakers, funcs, etc assuming the GPL code pulls that stuff. It's not difficult work, it's just tedious but we are still all for it.

The biggest hurdle we face is getting the permission to do so. As soon as we have an 'all clear' from the people who can give it to us, I'll update with more solid information.
Sounds Great. Do it again.

Exitium
Waking up in Chronos

Postby Exitium » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:24 pm

All I can say: ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

Keep up the good work!

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:32 pm

We started looking at the released code the other day! We are fleshing out our plan of action.

heXen
Picked up the Mace

Postby heXen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Exitium wrote:Heya, I registered to this forum to ask this question...

As some of you may be aware, Doom 3 sources (alongside id Tech 4) will be published under GPL later this year (info). While this mod is for Doom 3, do you have plans making this mod stand-alone, so you could use that open-sourcered code in order that HeXen: Edge of Chaos does not need Doom 3 to run - it would be a game of it's own.

However, I don't think that you're going to release the whole mod under GPL. The thing what I'm asking is somehow similiar solution like Urban Terror have. It used to be Q3 mod, but after Quake 3 sources were GPL'd it adopted ioquake3-engine (id Tech 3 GPL-fork) and game went stand-alone. It does not need Quake 3 anymore, and therefore the whole playerbase grew exponentially. Urban Terror isn't open source, even though it's engine is. Game contents is still closed.

Of course this will require some additional work, but after all I think it's worth it. This mod/game would be more popular when it does not need Doom 3 to run, and anyone can download and try it - just like happened with Urban Terror. And I think that that's what you want. In addition, this could be one of the few free single-player games, which would also give you some celebrity - this game isn't "just another Quake-clone for multiplayer".

Any thoughts?

Sincerly,
Exitium

EoC stand-alone? very bad idea.

RaVeN
Finished the First Round!

Postby RaVeN » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:48 pm

heXen wrote:

EoC stand-alone? very bad idea.

This is ever best idea. Imagine how it can be extended if developers will have full access and control everything what ever they wants.
And how much many peoples will can play this game (if someone does not have doom3).
Also it can be compiled for Windows, Linux, Macintosh and easy to use, does not require installation, just download and unzip or mount dmg.
In future will fixed doom3 bugs, speed optimized. Graphic enhanced.
For example:
1.remove cd-key why that will be needed if eoc free game.
2.remove 128 MAX_SV_PURE_PACKS limit to allow use more that 128 pk3 files, for future who will mapke maps for hexen eoc.
3.Add Alpha to Coverage to make more realistic look of transpered elements.
4. Bloom effect natively supported.
5. Wall marks fix -> fog and smoke always rendered before wall mark so it looks like dark mark that "eat" fog and smoke very bad looking, so can be fixed if have source code.

And many more, so from any ways use standalone is best, more peoples will follow, and hope help in developments too.

So explain why you think it bad?

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Our programmer is already a good week into sorting out the best way to merge everything together on our server. The rest of the team will probably start getting to work on sorting out all the other details that need to be taken care of once our code is officially merged and compiled as it's own .exe.

Removal of the Doom 3 requirement is obviously our biggest reason for going stand alone. We all just want as many people to be able to play the free project as possible and being able to release as our own thing is the best way to do it!

We'd also love to see any hexen mod makers who still make mods for the older hexens try something with our assets as well. Basically in the end someone should be able to use EoC as a base like someone would do for Doom 3.

Return to “Edge Of Chaos Total Conversion Discussion”