Merlin plays EoC

Talk about the mod here, could contain spoilers!
UBIK
Picked up the Mace

Merlin plays EoC

Postby UBIK » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 am

Whoever wrote this weeks episode of "Merlin" (Perilous lands/ Dark tower) has obviously been enjoying the EoC demo as much as I have.

I had just got started into the swamp and then quit the game to go watch "Merlin". Whaddayaknow, there I am back in the exact same swamp with Merlin and Gawain.

They heard a screech in the night and I thought, oh crap, I know that sound, we got Afrit! Sure enough, Wyvern, Afrit, different name, same nasty critter, same sound f/x.

When the old king gave Merlin the vial I had to holler "You got the flechette!"

Trick switches for the throne room door, bugs, even when they gave the village thugs the slip, they ducked into a little hole, popped out on an open upper gallery and when they came to a dead end they had to do a jump trick. Apparently thugs, like Ettin, can't jump so they got away.

Exactly the sort of things I was doing before entering the swamp. Like I never quit the game.

Nice of 'em to give you guys credit, right? :roll:

deadite4
Site Admin

Re: Merlin plays EoC

Postby deadite4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 pm

You have me totally confused.
Sounds Great. Do it again.

UBIK
Picked up the Mace

Postby UBIK » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:53 pm

"Merlin" SyFy channel. season 3 ep. 8 "Eye of the Pheonix"

They don't have a replay night or any season 3 episodes online yet, but "Hulu" has clips of everything but the swamp scene. Check out "Bar fight", "Wyvern fodder" and "The real prize" @ "Hulu" site.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:18 pm

I'll have to look into it.

BloodRayne
Finished the First Round!

Postby BloodRayne » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Considering it's airdate was October 30, 2010, and they recorded it months prior to that, I highly doubt they stole from us. :)

They could have played Hexen though. ;)

Info: http://www.merlintvshow.com/page/The+Eye+of+the+Phoenix
Youtube trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MjniGNJ ... r_embedded
Lunchmeataphobia.
Think! It ain't illegal yet!

UBIK
Picked up the Mace

Postby UBIK » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Yeah I didn't check the original air date. "Merlin" originated with the"Beeb" got kicked around a couple networks here and finally landed @ "SyFy". All new to me.

This episode is hexen based for sure though.

Three characters, the prince (courage), the fighter (strength), the mage (magic), cross a magical portal (the bridge) to a mystic realm (the perilous lands) to quest for the mighty trident of the ancient "Fisher King". sound familiar yet?

They have to survive the perils of the swamp where "Afrit" (Wyvern) screech in the night and make their way into the ruined "Dark tower" past Wyvern, trick door switches, and bugs where the prince retrieves the trident, the mage aquires (sp) the "Mystic Vial of Lake Avalon" and the fighter slays the Wyvern.

In the "Bar fight" scene the thugs are slow and stupid and can't run or jump, but they're large and menacing and keep coming in a typical three to four "Ettin" formation. They carry ax, pitchfork and scythe. A "Hexen" style "jump-trick" leaves them behind. Also familiar.

The show is normally a soapy character based carbon copy of "Smallville" set in "Camelot" which makes this episode stand out as "action game" based. Less talk, all run, fight and escape traps.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 pm

I watched the episode. Though yes it's surely not based on us, it's at least cool that it made you think of Edge of Chaos! :)

UBIK
Picked up the Mace

Postby UBIK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 am

I guess if you updated the original "Hexen" with "Hollywood" or "Pinewood" level sets, props and graphics, it would look a lot like "EoC" cuz yer lookin' good. Almost a seamless transition from the mod to the "pro" "Camelot" sets of "Merlin". Only I can't smack stuff when I'm watching "Merlin".

Return to “Edge Of Chaos Total Conversion Discussion”