Comments on this and very important question

Talk about the mod here, could contain spoilers!
Kucaniz
Picked up the Mace

Comments on this and very important question

Postby Kucaniz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:09 am

Hi! I've been following your mod here and there over the years and I don't quite remember why but, I was thinking about this the other week and went looking for it as I don't think I've checked since the summer. Finally got around to installing Doom 3 on my lap top after all this time (been occupied with other games so, I've been very distracted). Needless to say, I found it very foolish to have waited so long!

I forgot just how much I loved that game and I've found out just how much more I love what you guys have done. Thank you. I really had fun playing through it, the Hexen line has always been my favorite set of games. Ever. Only thing I found dissapointing was that there were no chaos serpents! I was hoping to see those and certainly hope I can see them in the future.

In regards to a certain monster, one odd thing I found both in playing in what you made and making my own map, is that when the veloxites crawl along the wall, they have a tendency to dissapear behind the wall and not come back.

Just hope you guys can churn out the next release sooner then later. Though, at least there's level creation to have fun with in the mean time. I think that's the part I've been looking forward to most. Feel so rusty with that now that I've been tinkering with it, it's been so long...

Now the question that's really been bothering me in regards to that-how on earth do I place inventory items like the flask/urn in a level? I don't see them in the entity list (using Dark Radiant). I freely admit my relative lack of experience in using the radiant editors and my ability to miss things very easily so please, tell me how to do this!

Again, thank you for making this! I'll be around...

deadite4
Site Admin

Re: Comments on this and very important question

Postby deadite4 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:55 am

Great you are enjoying it!

The chaos serpent is actually in progress of being modeled right now so it will get in there for next release. As far as the next release the team keeps growing which means we should be able to get more work done faster. We're working pretty hard still on progress.

In the map editor if you right click on the grid and go under items you'll find all the artifacts there. They are called item_urn, item_flask, item_flechette, etc.

Good to have you around! Feel free to converse and post up screen shots if you make some progress :)
Sounds Great. Do it again.

Kucaniz
Picked up the Mace

Postby Kucaniz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:29 pm

The name of those is about what I thought they'd be but-there's a create entity option in the Dark Radiant editor when you right click on the grid. Brings up a list of all the entities that can go in the map. Practically everything is there, even the regular items but, not the items that go in the inventory. I even tried loading up one of your maps in the editor in hopes of copy/paste and they weren't showing up on the map! Suppose I'll try adding them manually.

As for the map itself, making decent progress; don't think I'm quite ready to post any shots yet though, only a week's worth of progress in it so far. Started work on a semi-secret area and it's turned out to be far more elaborate then I thought it'd be. Haven't even gotten to the main areas yet. Might end up splitting it into two levels if this keeps up but, I suppose I'll wait and see before I do that.

Edit-Okay, I just tried manually adding in a flask and an urn. Once I entered the classname, they dissapeared off the grid! Could still see the selection crosshair floating in the map preview window so, though they'd be there somehow. I compiled, loaded it up, and there was nothing there in the map. Thoughts on what to do?

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:50 pm

The only thoughts I could give is to not use the dark editor lol

I'm not familiar with it having never used it. Maybe it's just not finding the eoc directory correctly or something. Most of our mappers use the standard doom 3 editor.

Kucaniz
Picked up the Mace

Postby Kucaniz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Well, perhaps you can help me with that. The reason I use the Dark Radiant Editor is because everytime I try and load the Doom 3 Editor, it crashes immediately and I went poking around Doom3 World and couldn't find the problem I was having. Using Windows 7, if it matters. And I did try running as adminstrator-that delayed the crash for about 4 or 5 seconds.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Code: Select all

cd..
doom3.exe +set fs_game eoc +set com_allowConsole 1 +set r_multiSamples 0 +editor _vid_restart +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_lightscale 2

put that in a .bat file inside your 'eoc' directory and just run the .bat. See if that works.

Kucaniz
Picked up the Mace

Postby Kucaniz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Most unfortunately, the editor is still crashing immediately upon opening.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:07 pm

Strange! Your not forcing AA at all are you? Just want to make sure.

Kucaniz
Picked up the Mace

Postby Kucaniz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:14 pm

No, it was defaulted to off. Just checked to make sure-it still is.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:23 am

Actually it seems I messed up on my item names to you. Doh!

artifact_urn, artifact_flask, artifact_flechette, etc.

My bad must of had something else on my mind.

ammo is ammo_combinedmana, ammo_greenmana, ammo_bluemana.

Kucaniz
Picked up the Mace

Postby Kucaniz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:38 am

Thank you, that worked! Item graphic still won't appear on the grid for some reason after I enter the name (which is kind've annoying cause then, I can't move it around but, no matter, can just use blocks until I need to put the item in) but, it's showing up in the level. Didn't need the name for the ammos, though-it's strange, all the other items show up on the list, it's only the items that appear in the inventory that aren't appearing on the entity list.

Edit-even found a way around the item not showing up on the grid, seems I can just load a model for it then convert it from func_static and it won't dissapear.

Return to “Edge Of Chaos Total Conversion Discussion”