How did you come across Hexen?

Talk about Hexen in general, books, fanfic, the original games etc..
YoBadMama
Hero!

How did you come across Hexen?

Postby YoBadMama » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:49 pm

I came across it when my parents got a Playstation and they gave the Nintendo 64 and all our games to my grandmother.
The Nintendo, being high up on the entertainment system, I never could reach it at home, but when my grandmother got it, she set it low so me and my cousin could play.
I then began to look at what we had to play, I then stumbled across a
cartrige with the big words HeXen,I fell in love with it ever scince.

Wow, that was long... :?
I'm right behind you, but don't turn around, it only makes me angrier.

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Re: How did you come across Hexen?

Postby redeemer812 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:23 pm

I never knew hexen existed till about 2006 when I found out that other games had been made using the Doom engine. Despite being a *very* old game by that time, it was still awesome.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 pm

redeemer812 wrote:I never knew hexen existed till about 2006 when I found out that other games had been made using the Doom engine. Despite being a *very* old game by that time, it was still awesome.

WOW, 2006!?! I've had, and still have my heretic CD. Got it in the late 90's.
Sounds Great. Do it again.

Corvus
Picked up the Serpent Staff

Postby Corvus » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:21 pm

After discovering Heretic (just after playing Doom) in an old shareware cd, I fell in love with it: it was a shooter with great medieval atmosphere and magic weapons, things that I loved as a child (and even now, of course).
Hexen was the next step: it was way better than Heretic in so many ways... Till now, a long lasting love.

[OFF TOPIC question: does anybody knows, when CD were not commons and MS-DOS ruled, how one could get a demo of a game? From friends, magazines etc.? Please someone explain]

BloodRayne
Finished the First Round!

Postby BloodRayne » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Corvus wrote:After discovering Heretic (just after playing Doom) in an old shareware cd, I fell in love with it: it was a shooter with great medieval atmosphere and magic weapons, things that I loved as a child (and even now, of course).
Hexen was the next step: it was way better than Heretic in so many ways... Till now, a long lasting love.

[OFF TOPIC question: does anybody knows, when CD were not commons and MS-DOS ruled, how one could get a demo of a game? From friends, magazines etc.? Please someone explain]

There were several sources where we got our demos:

- In stores shareware discs were sold for a couple of bucks
- On congresses (which were far more frequent those days) you could often get them for free.
- From friends (copying)
- Via BBS'es. BBS'es were special places where you could dial into with your modem to transfer files from.

I use to have copy evenings with Amiga and PC clubs. We would have all the machines (sometimes 20+ machines) hooked up to one power switch. Often during those copy evenings where everybody was copying from other people the SBA (Software Business Alliance) would have unannounced visits. We were considered to be pirates or 'crackers' during those days even though we did nothing illegal. When they arrived we hit the switch and reset all systems. The memory was cleared and no harm was done.

Good times. :)
Lunchmeataphobia.
Think! It ain't illegal yet!

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Sounds fantastic... I would have paid for being there.

Caffeine Freak
Team Member

Postby Caffeine Freak » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:34 pm

deadite4 wrote:WOW, 2006!?! I've had, and still have my heretic CD. Got it in the late 90's.

Same here. In fact. I have all the original CDs for my games. Most of them in near-perfect condition.

Hmm, I know I purchased Hexen in late '97, but I had first played it on my cousin's computer, either during '95 or '96, can't remember which. That was how I knew about it.
Yep, time for another Doom fix.

JC316

Postby JC316 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:42 am

I bought it on N64 used in 98 or 99 I guess. Never really played it that much till a friend recognized it and we played Co-op. We wound up playing through it about 60 times.

Stryker
Waking up in Chronos

Postby Stryker » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:36 pm

First played it in 2002, I think. Got the demo from... somewhere on the internet and quite enjoyed it. Then eventually I was able to buy the full version. Officially fell in love with the game, then.

A bit of late comer, I suppose. :P

tric5391

Postby tric5391 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:25 pm

I've been playing it since I found it for my parents Sega Saturn when I was still extremely young.

Been in love with the Hexen/Hertic series ever since.

KJSharp
Waking up in Chronos

Postby KJSharp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am

I was 6 and I caught my grandfather playing it, so I went and sat down next to him and watched him. It was my introduction to the computer and computer gaming.

BloodRayne
Finished the First Round!

Postby BloodRayne » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 am

I was 18 and my friend had just gotten a Pentium 60 machine.
He was running Hexen on it, I pushed him off of his chair and played for 4 hours straight, all the while telling him I was 'fixing' his PC. I bought my own PC the next day. I had been using Amiga and 468 PC's until then.
Lunchmeataphobia.
Think! It ain't illegal yet!

Mr.Rocket
Picked up the Mace

Postby Mr.Rocket » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:58 pm

I got Hexen sometime about 2 years after I got Doom2.
But yeah I was on the BBS's back then too, those were the days. ;)

sarjxxx
Picked up the Mace

Postby sarjxxx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 am

My dad used to play it when I was a kid. About 6 or 7 I guess.

He was a huge id fan, just as I am, and he used to make me play Doom. Scared the piss outta me and so did Heretic. I remember watching him play Hexen though. It was scary back then but I remember him playing as the mage and finally completing the Bloodscourge. That thing was BadFingAss. From then on I was obsessed.

course we left my dad a year or two later, long story, anyway, I didn't get to play it, and by the time I was able to go out and buy it, well it was like 2000 something and of course you couldn't get it in store, so I had to wait until I was 16 or 17 or so and got a job and a credit card and downloaded the full game from id's website. :D

Promptly beat it with all 3 characters.

I was/am/will always be a Quake3 fanatic, but I still love the older games, being Doom, Heretic, and Hexen, (Hexen II was an epic fail IMO). I don't have too much time to play games anymore, but I'm kinda working on beating all the Doom and Heretic/Hexen series in Jdoom all over again at the same time.... I still have never played Heretic long enought to beat it. Honestly just the other day was actually the first time I ever played Doom all the way through. // shame :( // To be quite honest, that's because I spent more time playing Hexen than Doom.

Naglfar
Picked up the Mace

Postby Naglfar » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:48 am

Hey everyone! New member and I figured this would make a good first post.

I first played Hexen with my dad way back. He had it as well as the original descent on his laptop. We used to take turns playing and thinking back it was probably the first game I ever beat. I got Hexen 2 when it came out. However pappy was off the FPSes by then and on a strict diet of Civ 2 which is still the only game he plays.

My favorite aspect of Hexen(1&2) is that regardless of character you play the anti-hero. Turning your enemies into pigs/sheep(respectively), beating them into a pulp with spiked gauntlets or just hucking a glyph at them and watching them die.

You might be fighting evil but you are far from pure yourself.

deadite4
Site Admin

Postby deadite4 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:18 am

Hey Naglfar, welcome to the forums!

Indeed the grittiness has always appealed to me in the series
Sounds Great. Do it again.

Razbaz
Picked up the Mace

Postby Razbaz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Doom -> Doom 2 -> Heretic and then HeXen (+DKotDC), was about 6-7 years old at that time.

Was awestruck by all those puzzle things, although didn't manage to get past 7 portals back then. Hexendk had a bit easier puzzles and more weapons readily available, so I played that one more. Didn't beat the game anyway but was under a great impression of it.

Then in 2000's came across Doomsday engine and decided to give it a try once again. Beat the game on easiest with a mage, then on normal with a cleric, then started playing on titan-only (fighter) and that was the time when I truly understood the awesomeness of the game.
Constant spawns drying up your mana pool. Those damn serpents and afrits while you only have the axe. Wendigo-filled room on Guardian of Steel (teleport in there, lower the walls, flask-flask-flask damn it! taste my axe!). Serpent room on Blight (for a fighter). Stalker madness on Sump. Every level of those games was awesome and had something precious to remember it for.
Now beaten both games on Titan difficulty using only flasks, flechettes, disks and wings and proud of it :D.

Hexen II was dull and boring in comparison, didn't even bother finishing it. I'd better replay the good old HeXen 1 ;).

Return to “General Hexen Discussion”