Why Raven isn't interested in developing Hexen III?

Talk about Hexen in general, books, fanfic, the original games etc..
Corvus
Picked up the Serpent Staff
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Why Raven isn't interested in developing Hexen III?

Postby Corvus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Just a question I can't ask to anyone except to you, brothers!

In my opinion Raven did not developed a sequel because of the lack of market the game would have: they think that such a mixture of shooter/rpg/medieval atmosphere does not work anymore in these days.
If people want to shoot at something, they want iper realistic or futuristic weapons;
if they want a rpg, they want it to be massive-multiplayer... and so on.

Any comments?

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Re: Why Raven isn't interested in developing Hexen III?

Postby redeemer812 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:23 pm

There's no lack of market. Blasting demons and stuff with awesome spells and stuff is just as cool as ever, Oblivion and Dragon Age have proved that. People haven't lost interest in single player RPGs either.

I think Raven stopped working on the Hexen/Heretic series because they consider it to be complete. As a company, they are uninterested in returning to it. You could ask a similar question about the commander keen series. id stopped working on that because, as a company, they just lost interest in it. They just figured there's better stuff to do with their time.

Corvus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Corvus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:29 pm

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:01 pm

BloodRayne
Finished the First Round!

Postby BloodRayne » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:59 am

It's economics. Currently the market for hack/slash games is over saturated with Wow and other RPGs and it's hard to compete against it with simple game play dynamics. For Raven, Hexen is one of the titles closest to their hearts, they cherish it as something very special and they'll release one, only when they are sure that it can be a commercial and critical success. Until that time I think they'd rather sit on the IP. :)

ps: Currently ID Software (zenimax) still hold the IP for Hexen, also see the ID website. ;)
Lunchmeataphobia.
Think! It ain't illegal yet!

mr.math
Killed the first Ettin!

Postby mr.math » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:10 am

I think new idTech 5 engine would fit for new Hexen game, from what I have seen, it can handle large outdoor places, what previous id engines were not made for and that is the reason sequels to Heretic and Hexen didn´t live up to thier predecessors. Especially in Hexen 2 it was a step back to corridors.

But my question is that NOBODY makes fantasy FPS anymore? Not only Raven. Is there singleplayer based fantasy FPS made in last decade? There is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic which was really good, but not as long and without any expansions or anything. There are maybe 5-10 FPS games from war a year...

BloodRayne

Postby BloodRayne » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:25 am

The last great hack&slash game I played was Rune (http://www.runegame.com/) which was a great game indeed. :D
Lunchmeataphobia.
Think! It ain't illegal yet!

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:55 am

TheCoolinator

Postby TheCoolinator » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:19 pm

I don't know its still odd to me that they didn't at least attempt some kind of new Hexen with multiplayer or something. I don't know if you guys remember but there was a cool Swords and Sorcery multiplayer game called Legends of Might and Magic. It wasn't popular at all but it did play well. If they were ever thinking of remaking Hexen, I would say to make the multiplayer death matches similar to that.

Fighting with wands, bows, and swords instead of your usual machine gun / rocket launcher.

knootewoot
Waking up in Chronos

Postby knootewoot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Last game I could compare to Hexen was Dark Messiah. Also a lineair game with FPS/RPG elements. I always hoped Raven would pick up the heretic/hexen franchise, but I don't think many people are interested in this type of game. I don't know how many people like this type of game, but if I look at my mates and bro's, I am the only one.

Anyway, I look forward to this mod. Currently I am playing the online beta of WARBAND, which is fun medieval killing. Also I reinstalled heretic en hexen and play them occasionally.

tric5391

Postby tric5391 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:58 pm

I love this type of game, but it is true the WoW and other games such as WoW have over-saturated the market with that style of game.

So why would they release a game that would sell very well (even under saturated conditions), when then can take their time, refine it, and release it when it's the thing everybody has been waiting for.

Also, I think that it is very plausible that they do feel that the series is completed. What else is left to do in the story line? Nothing, unless they make something up. Which may piss a lot of fans off.

mr.math
Killed the first Ettin!

Postby mr.math » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:38 am

They still can make medieval fantasy shooter, but it just will be something new, not from heretic/hexen franchise...

RaVeN

Postby RaVeN » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:47 pm

I want raven software fantasy game. Raven's makes it perfectly, amazing, awesome, they master of the fantasy. I hope to see new fantasy game from RavenSoft

mr.math
Killed the first Ettin!

Postby mr.math » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Does anybody know what they are up to right now? They have had a lot of work last years and just released singularity.

RaVeN

Postby RaVeN » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:19 pm

mr.math
Killed the first Ettin!

Postby mr.math » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Lucrative Call of Duty franchise? Pche. Mappack...

I heard another rumors, that Project Offset most likely won´t see the light of the day. "Great!"
Fortunately we have Edge of Chaos ;)

tric5391

Postby tric5391 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:03 am

Maybe if they wanted to continue the series they would make you fight a fellow warrior. For example, If you played as the cleric, you would have to fight the mage and the warrior.

The story could be that when they were separated upon entering the portal the other two succumbed to the serpent riders power and were trying to redeem their old masters.

I dunno. Just a thought.

Maybe they could pull in the Hertic characters too...

heXen
Picked up the Mace

Postby heXen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Sincerely....i have afraid. ^^

i have afraid that Raven developments hexen 3 , or Heretic 3. ^ ^

After Wolfenstein, After Singularity, 2 games for console not pc(no free save only checkpoint, menu console style ecc.ecc). Raven is not like in the past, if they work on Hexen 3, What will result? a new Bioshock? LEL! XD

probably a new fail. I hope Raven return that of a time before work on new Hexen or new Heretic. ^ ^

mr.math
Killed the first Ettin!

Postby mr.math » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:39 am

Return to “General Hexen Discussion”