Hexen II is kicking my ass......

Talk about Hexen in general, books, fanfic, the original games etc..
TheCoolinator
Picked up the Serpent Staff

Hexen II is kicking my ass......

Postby TheCoolinator » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Hey all,

I just got Hexen II working again on my PC and I'm attempting to get through the first act on hard. Not the highest difficulty but the one right below it and my Necromancer is in no way able to defend himself.

I'm thinking of starting over again from scratch with a tougher character like the Crusader or Warrior.

deadite4
Site Admin

Re: Hexen II is kicking my ass......

Postby deadite4 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 pm

hah. I don't remember much about the difficulty, but I remember when I first played the game, at one point I couldn't figure out what I had to do next and endlessly traversed between all the maps..........I ended up never finishing it at the time.
Sounds Great. Do it again.

Indoril Lichenvale

Postby Indoril Lichenvale » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:19 pm

The main difference between Hexen and Hexen II is difficulty. Since the AI in first Hexen isn't so smart it goes for massive swarms at highest difficulty. Cleric clears that up in no time with no mana problems. In Hexen II enemies do not tend to swarm, but they are deadlier and have a smarter AI (evade the attacks, crouch, etc) and you are in big trouble with mana. Hexen II is a challenge :)

mr.math
Killed the first Ettin!

Postby mr.math » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Well,in Hexen, I think with fighter against a few ice wendigos in first hub was the largest challenge...

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:22 am

Well,in Hexen, I think with fighter against a few ice wendigos in first hub was the largest challenge.

If you have a couple Quartz flasks, they're not very difficult. If I had to name a most difficult encounter, I'd say...

Korax. I was taken off guard by how many attacks he has. :)

mr.math
Killed the first Ettin!

Postby mr.math » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:41 pm

If I had to name a most difficult encounter, I'd say...

Korax. I was taken off guard by how many attacks he has. :)

Korax? Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn´t he the weakest boss ever? :D If you compare it to D´Sparil or Maulotaur or four riders from Hexen 2...even Heresiarch was greater challenge. With cleric, all that you had to do is stand there behind the corner and shooting wraights.

BloodRayne
Finished the First Round!

Postby BloodRayne » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:52 pm

I found navigation the most difficult in Hexen II. Going over the same steps over and over to find out you've missed one corner somewhere. :?
Lunchmeataphobia.
Think! It ain't illegal yet!

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:32 pm

I never bought Heretic (although I've played the shareware version) and I can't imagine D'Sparil being that hard. I mean, he's just one guy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me he just sounds like the equivalent to a Spider Mastermind.

Korax doesn't always attack you directly, but will instead send swarms of Ettin and Maulotaur creatures at you. It's hard to fight the final boss when you're being flanked by other creatures.

Oh, and BTW: the wraiths, while awesome, were really cheap :p

Indoril Lichenvale

Postby Indoril Lichenvale » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:41 am

Well battle with D'Sparil looks like this (hardest difficulty ofcourse):

Area is huge. He rides a serpent with lots of health that shoots one fireball. When you get it to some % of health it shoots 3 or 5 at once. Disciples are spawned in the process. You kill the serpent, D'Sparil gets off and shoots you (he uses the tome power from time to time). More Disciples are spawned in the process. In this huge area he has teleport locations which are far far away. As you take his health down he teleports insanely fast. Most of the time he didn't even finished teleporting to one location, he goes to teleport to another. Insane ammount of Disciples are shooting you, while you barely can land an attack on him (because of teleportations). I went out of ammo and get killed by uber swarm of disciples.

TheCoolinator

Postby TheCoolinator » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Not only am I playing as the weakest character but there is absolutely NO ammunition.

I have been attempting to avoid fighting but when I'm in a bind I just have to unlease magic missles and get out of there. I don't even try using the sythe.....it's automatic death when dealing with archers and golems.

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:32 pm

That's nasty. Just read about it online. Though surely if you horde powerups like I do, he couldn't be too hard... Right? :|

mr.math
Killed the first Ettin!

Postby mr.math » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:35 pm

redeemer812 wrote:I never bought Heretic (although I've played the shareware version) and I can't imagine D'Sparil being that hard. I mean, he's just one guy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me he just sounds like the equivalent to a Spider Mastermind.

I won´t lie if I say, that D´Sparil was the strongest boss in all firt-person action games. Really, he spawn army of disciples and it was very difficult to hit him, because he was teleporting all the time. And don´t forget that you couldn´t play with mouse.

mr.math
Killed the first Ettin!

Postby mr.math » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Indoril Lichenvale wrote:Well battle with D'Sparil looks like this (hardest difficulty ofcourse):

Area is huge. He rides a serpent with lots of health that shoots one fireball. When you get it to some % of health it shoots 3 or 5 at once. Disciples are spawned in the process. You kill the serpent, D'Sparil gets off and shoots you (he uses the tome power from time to time). More Disciples are spawned in the process. In this huge area he has teleport locations which are far far away. As you take his health down he teleports insanely fast. Most of the time he didn't even finished teleporting to one location, he goes to teleport to another. Insane ammount of Disciples are shooting you, while you barely can land an attack on him (because of teleportations). I went out of ammo and get killed by uber swarm of disciples.

I used to use that trick, that when you load and don´t stand at your enemies sight, they ,,fell asleep". I lead him somewhere into the center to get him into the corner of the cross and then save/load. Then Tome of Power and Phoenix Rod from the back. :x

redeemer812
Fried a bunch of Afrit

Postby redeemer812 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Woah! The more I look into this, the more I think that I'm totally off my rocker. D'Sparil sounds pretty tough. :?

Indoril Lichenvale

Postby Indoril Lichenvale » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:42 pm

Oh yeah. On the hardest difficulty i turned the god mode on and ragequited a bit later because i couldn't get a single shot at him.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 am

TheCoolinator wrote:Hey all,

I just got Hexen II working again on my PC and I'm attempting to get through the first act on hard. Not the highest difficulty but the one right below it and my Necromancer is in no way able to defend himself.

I'm thinking of starting over again from scratch with a tougher character like the Crusader or Warrior.

Hexen II is one of my favourite games. I finished it with all characters except Assassin, but I remember I had the same problems with Necromancer and even with Crusader at high difficulty. I was forced to use cheats to summon the Krater of Might from time to time, and fought the bosses for hours.

Artas1984
Picked up the Mace

Postby Artas1984 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:13 am

Ha! This is so funny to read! While i agree that at the beginning of you play the bosses are hard, when you play this game many times they are nothing and you actually make fun of them by trying to beat them lets say without taking damage or as quick as possible.

Caffeine Freak
Team Member

Postby Caffeine Freak » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:49 am

I agree with most everything I've read here. Hexen II is hard as hell with the Necromancer at the beginning of the game, and D'sparil was possibly the most challenging boss in the entire series. You just have to keep chipping away at him, and eventually, your persistence will be rewarded. I still remember the first time I beat D'sparil on the hardest difficulty setting---I lost it. I was so elated, I practically started speaking in tongues.

Ah, the sweet memories of my antisocial adolescence.
Yep, time for another Doom fix.

TheCoolinator

Postby TheCoolinator » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Reading this thread over is making me want to give it another try this weekend. :lol:

muhahaa
Picked up the Mace

Postby muhahaa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:43 pm

i finished hexen 2 with paladin on hardest difficoulty few times but i still have no idea how did i solved egipt.

Return to “General Hexen Discussion”